Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Artistic Passion

 Please visit my new site to read this post and more.


Hey all,

Know it's been a long time since I've posted a blog (I am so trying to blog more) but now there are several topics in my head just wanting to spill out. Today's blog post is the first of (I hope) many more to come.

Artistic Passion. This might be a phrase we hear on occasion, something that might cross our minds once in awhile, or something we strive for in our own work. And even if you're not an "artist" per se, we all yearn for passion or love in our daily lives, do we not?

Each time I sit down at the keyboard to write, I am reaching toward something--a drive to create, to dance and enjoy my time with the characters roaming around in my head. This passion is what keeps me going, even when sometimes the words feel like pulling teeth.

And then there's the passion we see in others. I think this is just as important as yearning for our own--to try to surround ourselves with people who are wanting to create something--a song, a poem, a book, a photo, a home--because it keeps us in tune with the muse and inspiring energies.

This past weekend, I went to Savannah, GA, for the Irish Festival. Two years ago, I happened to catch the last 10 minutes of a music set from Roger Drawdy & The Firestarters. And in those 10 minutes, something in my imagination came to life. I saw it then, and I saw it once again this past weekend--this band *is* creative passion in humanized form.

I think that's what draws me to watch their shows and listen to their music. When they perform, they are in complete and utter bliss. You can see it on their faces; that energy and passion for their artistic pursuit comes alive. It inspires. (Actually, it literally does inspire...the lead singer was the inspiration for a character I created in my third book.)

We all have to devote time to our craft, whether it's singing, writing, living, being a parent, whatever task is most important to you. Some days that's easy; some days it's like trudging through molasses. But it's that spark that keeps us going. In Savannah this past weekend, I saw that spark light up the stage. They were one of the last acts of the day, and when we did leave, my husband said, "They were worth waiting for." Earlier in the day, I heard people near me whisper, "Don't miss the Firestarters! They're amazing on stage!"

I couldn't agree more. Other artists do inspire me, and that energy helps me to create. Seems like one of the most beautiful cycles of life there is :)

So devote some time to your passion today. Write something. Listen to some music. Take a photograph; see something in a new way. Hug a small child and become part of their universe for just a spell. See what happens; see how your own creativity grows.

Til the next post, I've put some pictures below from the Irish Fest...

Elaine




No comments: