Saturday, March 29, 2008

Manuscript Phases...Like Life

It's official. Writing a manuscript is like going through life's stages within a compressed amount of time.

There's the giddy stage, researching and getting ready to begin.

There's the eagerly diving in stage, facing that blinking cursor with bravery and inspiration.

There's the I'm getting over this hurdle stage, filled with anticipation over how things can improve.

There's even (on occasion) the stage where the book seems to write itself because it's flowing along so nicely.

And then there's the stage I'm in now. The anxious lose my mind stage. This is when I am 75% complete and despite all common sense, I begin to question everything. I wonder if I can keep this book going and moving to a decent ending. I scramble and become anxious and impatient, with everything and everyone.

Other writer friends of mine either furiously clean their house or bake bread during this phase. Perhaps I should try their options...I'm sure my family would prefer fresh baked bread to my anxious panic.

Sigh. Fortunately, I know these are phases and they do pass, but it doesn't make them any easier when I'm in the midst of it all.

What stages do you go through in your work or hobbies?

No comments: