Saturday, June 16, 2012

Rock of Ages - review

I saw "Rock of Ages" this weekend. View the trailer here.Would give it 3.5 or 4 stars out of 5.

For one, I don't even *like* musicals. That being said, I love 80s music which is what I grew up on, and the soundtrack to this film is fantastic! Every one of my favorite hair bands has a track in this :) Not to mention, I didn't even realize Tom Cruise could sing. He can. Apparently he practiced for 5 hours a day to prep for the role, according to Director Adam Shankman, but it paid off.

The first few minutes, I wasn't even sure if I was going to like it. Perhaps it's just me, I found the first scene a bit too satirical. But it got better. And better.

The singing talent is amazing, Tom Cruise playing the mysterious poet-musician-dark-personality yet stage idol Stacey Jaxx was phenomenal. I think this is one of my favorite things I've seen him in. And I don't even really like Tom Cruise.

This film seemed to break all the rules with movies I like, but it gets 3-4 stars, regardless :)

Recommend :)

Now I'm off to a writer's meeting to network with other writers. I've spent too much time in my own imagination lately, and must talk to other people who hear voices in their heads! LOL.

Have a great weekend, all :)

Elaine

No comments: