Tuesday, June 28, 2011

NYC - Last Day Sightseeing before Conference

Hey,

And we're up to Monday!

I have really enjoyed seeing so much of NYC over the last 3 days, but I must say I've done so much that my brain has fried in the process. Tomorrow is a bit of rest before things begin.

Today I did what I'd recommend to every tourist - take the 3-hour Circle Line boat tour around the island. It's a great way to get some photos, learn about the city, see the different areas, and have a great time. Some photos from today are below - note I have tons more pics but these were with my cell phone:

Ellis Island:











Statue of Liberty:














Following that great 3-hour adventure, we went to Katz deli in the Village. Wow. Best pastrami EVER. And they do mail order. I may have to look into this! And for those of you movie buffs, this was the diner where they filmed the famous scene in "When Harry Met Sally" - the one where Meg Ryan screams in ecstasy to make a point...and afterward a waiter asks another customer what she wants and the woman replies, "I'll have what she's having."

St. Patrick's Cathedral on 5th Avenue - gorgeous church, designed by the same man who designed much of the Smithsonian in Wash DC.












Here is an earlier shot of Times Square:











Some more posts to come - there's a lot of things I've been thinking about this week in terms of how differently our misconceptions are about others compared to what we really experience for ourselves. But meanwhile, have a great week and I'll be learning lots at a conference!

Elaine

3 comments:

Tami Brothers said...

I never thought about the place with When Harry Met Sally. Awesome idea.

Hope you enjoy the conference. Would still like to hear how that goes...grin...

Thanks a ton for sharing your experience!

Tami

The Writers Canvas, Author Elaine Calloway said...

Thanks Tami! The deli from "When Harry Met Sally" was great, and the place was so iconic.

The conference is going well so far, will try to post another blog!

thanks for reading and commenting!
Elaine

Tami Brothers said...

You are welcome!

Thanks a ton for sharing this with us. I hope to make it in two years (not saying next year cause I know that is not going to work either...grin...).

Tami