Sunday, July 12, 2009

Keep your eyes open...It Might Get Loud

Hey all,

First, I need to thank Simon Owens for today's blog post. He sent me the info and the preview link. WOW. What a great discovery in just a few minutes time.

I kept my eye on several films which played at Sundance Film Fest this year, but didn't know much about this one. It's called It Might Get Loud and tells about the history of the electric guitar from the point of view of 3 musicians: Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, U2's The Edge and the White Stripes' Jack White.

Now, I'm the first to admit that I was never a Zeppelin or White Stripes fan. I do enjoy U2 but haven't bought many of their albums. But It Might Get Loud seems, at least from the preview, to have that transcend-its-main-audience capability, meaning it can be enjoyable for audiences who may not be die-hard fans. Watch the preview here.

I'm particularly drawn to the moments in the preview where they speak about storytelling, about finding the words that are living in your soul and getting them "out there" to share with others. I may not like Zeppelin's music, but as a writer trying to get stories out of my imagination and onto the page, then into the hands of readers--I definitely identify with the need to express something.

Another documentary which played at Sundance this year, Anvil, The Story of Anvil, acheived this feat to perfection. For those who haven't seen it, it's the story of the Canadian heavy-metal band's path to success, with many, many setbacks. Yet the 2 main band members, friends since high school, never gave up. While I never enjoyed heavy metal music, I was riveted by their story of persistence and hope. I drove an hour to our artsy cinema to watch it--twice. When it's available for purchase, I'll buy the DVD.

And it seems It Might Get Loud might have an inspiring tale to tell too...so keep your eyes open!

No comments: