Sunday, May 4, 2008

Indie # 11 - Delirious (DVD release 5/6/08)

Indie #11 – Delirious by Writer/Director Tom DiCillo. Starring Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt, Alison Lohman, Gina Gershon, and Elvis Costello.

A few other familiar faces appear in the film: Kevin Corrigan from “Living in Oblivion” (another DiCillo film) and his TV series “Grounded for Life.” Also Callie Thorne, who played a regular role on Denis Leary’s TV series, “Rescue Me.”

Watch the preview.

View the web site.


“Delirious” opened in theatres last summer and the DVD release with extras/commentary is coming out this Tuesday, May 6th. Blockbuster released a limited, no-extras DVD version, so I rented it a few weeks ago, and can’t wait to purchase the DVD on Tuesday. My only regret is that I have a web of entanglements occurring that morning and I can’t purchase the DVD first thing.

This film contains so many gems of poignant life advice, writer/director Tom DiCillo should get an honorary psychology degree. It’s no secret that I love all of DiCillo’s films, but this one is well and truly one of his best. His perception of the human condition and the meshing of two worlds radiates on screen with amazing performances by the cast.

Let’s face it. Not many people can play the role of a paparazzi with empathy and dimension. DiCillo’s script and Buscemi’s acting pull it off. I found myself wanting to reach through the screen to hug Buscemi’s character at times. Not a feeling one usually has for the paparazzi.

Buscemi plays this role with an emotional range I’ve never seen before. I always liked his acting. My impression of him as a human being skyrocketed when I learned he returned to the New York Fire Dept. where he once worked, volunteering to help out after 9/11. So rare in today’s celebrity world, where most stumble in and out of rehab in the midst of their life dramas. Buscemi gives the performance of a lifetime in “Delirious.”

This is the first movie I’ve seen Michael Pitt in where he isn’t playing a charming sociopath. Every frame of film brings out the soul in his eyes—not an easy task. The acting was amazing, by all the cast.

Check out this Indie! I recommend you purchase it but at least rent it and listen to the commentary. DiCillo’s sense of humor and commentaries are gems as well :)

Have a great week, everyone!

No comments: