Monday, April 14, 2008

Indie # 3 - Jindabyne

Happy Monday!

Indie Recommendation #3 - Jindabyne. Starring Gabriel Byrne and Laura Linney.

This film only played a few weeks in Atlanta during a busy time for me, and I was upset to discover that it disappeared quickly, making me wait for the rental. However, it was worth the wait. (FYI - So is Delirious, Indie Recommendation #1)

"Jindabyne" takes a writer's driving question "What If?" and makes an interesting case from both viewpoints. What if all you want is a happy time away with your family, yet you come across something tragic? Do you ignore it and go about your business? Do you embrace that tragedy into your heart and do something? What if public pressure gets in the way? Can these opposing viewpoints tear apart a family, and if so, how?

In many ways, this reminds me of a Woody Allen film (although without the angst). It's one of those moral questions type of films, the type where you should gather with friends and sip cognac afterward while you discuss your opinions.

I do admit that Gabriel Byrne and Laura Linney are 2 of my favorite actors, and I'd pretty much go see them in any movie. But this one is worth viewing, if only to ask yourself that question:

What would YOU do?

No comments: